We had hoped to leave on Monday, but the ice continues to be a concern. So for now we have decided to postpone at least until Saturday of next week, while we continue to monitor the ice situation.
There is plenty on dry land to keep us busy. Boats seem to be perpetually a work in progress, so we continue to refine designs, tweaking scupper flaps, enhancing the oar lockers, adding a canopy to provide some shelter while we peel off foul weather gear so as not to track seawater into the cabin.
Meanwhile Naomi and I took a few hours off this afternoon to explore a bit of the north coast of Newfoundland. We left our lodgings with Harry and Diane Spurrell in sunshine, but the weather soon turned to rain showers and wind. But it was still beautiful. I’m actually very happy to have a bit more time to explore this very special place.
By the way, in case you didn’t know, Newfoundland is not pronounced NewFOUNDland, it’s NewfoundLAND. To get it right, say “Understand Newfoundland” so that the two words rhyme, and you’ll be close enough.
To get the latest news from the OAR project, check us out:
And please consider donating to our chosen charity, the Rowing Foundation, to help get more youngsters out on the water, or chip in towards our satellite phone bill so we can continue to bring you these blogs from the ocean.